Saturday, December 15, 2012

NAMI education and support groups

12/15/12


I didn't know what to expect before I went to my first NAMI meeting. I only knew that I had heard wonderful things about NAMI's peer education programs and wanted to help to make a difference in the way people view and manage mental illness. In my 19 years of living with bi-polar disorder I have never felt so much real support or true understanding and compassion for what I have been through then as at the meeting. I was so relieved and comforted by the solutions proposed for the recovery obstacles that we face with our illness.


I am also extremely passionate about helping to educate and inform people that are suffering and their families that there is hope. It is important to me to create a new mindset and set of skills for people that have been diagnosed, those that are on their treatment team, and the people that are the first responders for our lives. But I also feel that educating everyone, and not just the people who see it everyday is important.


I had never heard of bipolar disorder until I was diagnosed. After I was diagnosed my life changed for the worse for many years. Not only did I have to deal with my own lack of understanding, but I also had to deal with those that I worked with, went to school with, and even those that I loved. I believe with all of my heart in the things that were mentioned in the educational group led by Dr. Stephen. I have dealt with Dr.s that were hopeless and I have had a support network that doesn't know how to help and I have also been lost without a flashlight when dealing with my own illness. I have also learned through many trials and tribulations that there is a way to manage bi-polar with the steps that he mentioned. I am now a personal trainer and nutrition consultant. I also have a healthy support network, goals, a routine, a recovery plan and many other tools that help me in my wellness.


A few years ago my friend Kelsey gave me her (WRAP) wellness and recovery action plan to me. It was like having a road map. I was able to see the importance of setting small goals figuring out what my triggers are and the tools to deal with my diagnosis. It also helped me to put things in perspective and see what I was doing right and what I needed to do more of. I wish that everyone had access to these tools especially when trying to learn ways to manage their illness. The Dr. also spoke of something tonight that gives my reason for coming in an explanation. That something is purpose. I have no doubt that it is my purpose to help others that share our journey and all of humanity to eliminate the stigma and empower those that have been through the horrors of mental illness.


No comments:

Post a Comment